Monday, January 14, 2008

Planning the build and starting the foundation.


This is a blog to follow progress whilst building a Second Life Version of the planned Exercise Science and Sport Precinct and Learning Commons Project for Victoria University Footscray.

I spent yesterday clearing the land and familiarising myself with the plans, which are massive. Another issue will also be what we can fit on the land, what direction it will be facing, (we can adjust the sun accordingly as a compromise) and how much detail will be possible given the time constraints.
My current idea is to do the entire front section(N) of the building, as in real life, from the ground up, starting with the foundation and outer shell(taking care to make sure they are spot on), then moving in to complete the walls and interior.
The first thing I did was starting at the lowest basement I went in and marked all of the architectural plans with the necessary measurements and angles to then start building in the correct places in Second Life, as well as working out exactly what I was going to build and how I would do it. One issue is building things in a straight line, then rotating them, rather than trying to line up diagonal walls perfectly.


I am also trying to 'future proof' the build, taking into consideration that I want to leave room for the new building p, as well as other buildings and in world activities.

Some issues
- windows i am not sure about from the pictures
- one line(with circles in it) i need to find out about(foundation perhaps?)
- site visit?
- plans arent large enough, if they were i could possibly put them in world and use them to work from. i will have it spot on anyway so if i can get plans at a later stage i can perhaps put them in to double check. from my perspective it's easier to plan it in the real world, by the time i got the plans scaled properly i would be well into getting the foundation done.

Therefore I translated the foundation level to graph paper where I could lay it out according to the 3d space available on the island.

Overall clearing the land, getting, reading and understanding the plans, marking out the foundation, what will be built and working out how to best do it, has taken around 10 hours so far.

Second Life is playing up, so after just beginning the foundation I will call it a night, and hope for a smoother run in the morning.


WEDNESDAY

10m limit so like a jigsaw
got into the foundation, it's slow work but once it's done it is easy to copy and past the rest of the levels, so it's worth getting right.




FRIDAY

Back to getting the foundation done, second life has been quite buggy.
Now I have the bottom floor done, I can copy and paste it up to the other floors, and modify them as required. All floors are the exact(or as close as possible) dimensions and heights as indicated in the blueprints.
A lot of this blogging is done whilst I am logged out of the system(not by choice) and waiting a few minutes for it to let me back in.
There have also been a lot of problems today with server assets.


The levels are now basically completed, each one needs some slight modification as I move through the building from the ground up, but it is much easier to picture where things should go. The angles and measurements are as close to spot on as possible.

SATURDAY

I started looking at the exterior of the building, and spent a couple of hours working our how the facade works and doing the front lower levels.

(Picture to come, kept crashing at the end, network problems)

HSF - 20.5

No comments: